Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pesto Appetizer

I first tasted this recipe at a gourmet food party a friend hosted. Later, after going to the grocery store, I discovered that I could combine a couple of ready-made jarred versions of the pestos and get the same flavor as the much more expensive one at the party. This recipe is always a hit. Our kids love it too!

Ingredients:
8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or diced
1/3 cup basil pesto
1/3 cup sundried tomato pesto
5 roma tomatoes--cut in half, squeeze out seeds and some moisture; dice
Crackers or thinly sliced French bread
(I use either low-sodium Triscuits or sturdy tortilla chips. The pretzel chips are good too! Okay, whatever you have in your pantry that makes you happy and will hold up to scooping this stuff will work just peachy!)

Directions:
Mix the two types of pestos together. This Classico brand ($2/jar) is the kind I try to use in this recipe. Since it's baked, I don't use my fresh, homemade pesto if I can help it. However, I won't name any names, but our local grocer is getting a bit hoity toity these days and is not carrying it anymore. The grocer's (more expensive!) store brand and a couple of other higher dollar brands ($4-5 dollars/jar) are in its place. My wonderful neighbor found these jars for me again at SuperTarget. God love you, Julia, and God love you, Target! Just one more reason to spend more money at Target, right?

In a pie plate or other medium-sized baking dish, layer cheese first, then pesto mixture, followed by the tomatoes. Broil (500 degrees) on med-high rack for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is somewhat melted. Serve warm with crackers or bread, or for gluten free, eat it with sturdy tortilla chips.

Here's what it looks like after a bunch of neighbors and their kids have at it!

Make it for a Saturday evening neighborhood gathering. Then make sure there's a little left over so you can grab some iced tea and enjoy it on the Sabbath (a day of rest)! You can live on left-over appetizers one day out of the week right? It's really no sacrifice!